Loaded Potato Salad
Prepare to be the hit of any party. I’ve been hounded for years to release this recipe, now here it is. This is a potato salad like none you’ve ever had. Think loaded baked potato with cheese, bacon, sour cream, along with red and green onions in a salad. There’s a whole lot of prep and a lot of chopping but the compliments you receive are worth every bit of the work.
This recipe makes enough for a party (about 8-10lbs worth). Cut the quantities of everything listed here and below in half for a smaller, family size, batch of this delicious loaded potato salad
This is a great side dish alongside Sweet Coleslaw for a BBQ, for grilling, office potlucks, or with signature dishes like Smoked Brisket.
Day Before Prep Work
The day before I make loaded potato salad I microwave the potatoes to the same doneness as a baked potato, I hard boil the eggs, and I cook the bacon to where it’s very crispy but not burnt, then I put all of these in the refrigerator overnight.
First, slice 5 pounds of fully cooked and cooled Yukon gold or red potatoes with the skin on, into bite size 1/2 to 3/4″ cubes.
I add the cubed potatoes to a large stock pot or bowl. You’re going to need a lot of room for adding ingredients and mixing so choose the largest container you have on hand.
Next I add 8 chopped hard boiled eggs.
Onto this I add in 1/2 of a finely chopped red onion and a finely chopped entire bunch of green onions.
I run my crispy and chilled bacon through the food processor or chop and add these next. Yes, that is 2 pounds of bacon!
An entire 16oz container (2 cups) of sour cream, and 2 1/2 cups of mayonnaise go in next.
Now I add in 2 cups (a 16oz bag) of sharp cheddar cheese and a Tablespoon of hot sauce.
The last things to go in are a 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
Use a large spoon and gently stir to combine and even mix.
Move all of the potato salad into a large bowl or I prefer large plastic locking lid food storage container. Lightly sprinkle with paprika then store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Loaded Potato Salad
Warning! This list makes a party size batch of potato salad. Half of this is recommended for all other uses.
- 5 pounds cleaned new red or Yukon gold potatoes
- 8 eggs
- 2 lb bacon
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 bunch green onions chopped small
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups sour cream (16 oz container)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Boil potatoes until they’re tender but firm (about 15 min). Drain and set in the refrigerator to cool. Or, I prefer to clean and scrub the potatoes, poke them with a fork, and cook until soft in a microwave.
- Hardboil the eggs, soak in an ice bath, then put in refrigerator overnight.
- Cook the bacon until it's crispy but not burnt. Store in refrigerator overnight
- Peel chop the eggs and set aside.
- Run the bacon through a food processor or chop and set aside.
- Chop the cooked and chilled potatoes, leaving skin on (about 1/2- 3/4” chunks).
- Add to a large bowl, along with the eggs, bacon, cheese, and onion.
- Add mayo, sour cream, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Stir to mix
- Sprinkle with paprika
- Store in refrigerator until ready to serve